A forklift is an industrial truck. It has a very powerful engine and is used to lift and move materials over short distances. The forklift has been an invention of the twentieth century. While the company called Clarke made the transmissions, another company called Yale and Towne made the hoists. Forklifts came to be used increasingly across the globe during World War II. In the modern world, forklifts are an indispensable part of the manufacturing and supply chain industry, especially in warehousing. If you are looking for a forklift rental in Melbourne, make sure to check out the websites of different companies that provide these services.
Parts of a forklift
If you are going for a forklift rental in Melbourne, you must know that it has some unique components that make it function properly. Here is an overview of the exterior parts of a forklift:
- Mast: the mast is also known as the “upright”. It is the vertical structure that supports and lifts the weight. There are hydraulic pistons attached to the mast that help to make it move the carriage. It is fitted in the front of the forklift and in the direct vision of the operator’s line of vision.
- Carriage: the carriage is the primary support structure where the forks are attached. A platform in the front part of the mast, this structure is used to mount the objects that are to be controlled by the mast.
- Back rest: the mast cylinder’s hoses are protected by the backrest. This prevents any items from falling through the mast and hurting the operator. It does not let any load shift backward.
- Lift cylinder: the lift cylinders are responsible for powering the carriage and the forks to get raised or lowered. They are often powered hydraulically and move in one direction.
- Tilt cylinder: very similar to the lift cylinder, the tilt cylinder controls the tilt movement of the carriage and the angle of the forks in relation to the ground.
- Forks: it is the forks that make direct contact with the load that is to be lifted. Attached to the carriage, the forks are designed to lift the load from the bottom. When you opt for forklift hire near me, keep in mind that forks come in different shapes and sizes to accommodate loads of different types and weights.
- Overhead guard: this is the roof of the forklift and is a primary safety feature.
Here is an overview of some of the components that are inside the operator’s cab:
- Lift lever: the lift lever as the name indicates is used to lift and lower the forks. While they pull backward to lift, the levers push in front to load. The engine speed can be adjusted to manage the lifting speed.
- Brake pedal and accelerator pedal: while the brake pedal is used to stop the engine and is located on the floor to the side of the steering column, the accelerator pedal is used to start and move the machine and is located at the right of the steering column.